Week 4: If I were you



-Website where I found some pieces of advice, and one fragment I chose:  

"The point is not that you should act arrogantly or as if entitledbut thatif you act as if you have value in the worldothers are more likely to treat you that way. In the hetero worldthis means letting the guy pursue youWhich is to saynot calling too much or being too accommodating to his needsConverselyif he fails to callhold your head high and walk awayMaybe I’m old-fashionedbut still think that, in the early days of a relationshipthe onus falls on the opposite sex." 

-Website page, and text in which I found modal verbs:  
Last week my wife suggested we should have a weekend break: Barcelona, or perhaps Prague. After a few minutes on my computer was able to book fl ights and a hotel, then print out airline tickets and a hotel voucher – all done in less than half an hourNothing surprising about thatyou might sayBut then I suddenly remembered how things were different when I was a childIf my parents wanted to go away they couldn’t just use the Internet – because there was no Internet. Wellof course it existedbut ordinary people weren’t able to use itit was only used by a few universities and some government agencies. No, they had to phone a travel agent or drive into town and go to a travel agency.  

-I was able tois used to talk about an achievement that was done with difficulty. 
-Might sayis used to speculate about the present in this case. 
-Couldn’t just use: is used to express prohibition in the past. 
-Weren’t able tois used to talk about something that could not be done in the past.


-Finally, some activities I have done this last 4 weeks to improve my english are: doing the activities from the gramar and vocabulary books; watching movies in its original versión, such as "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" and "Sierra Burguess is a Loser"; and I have been reading a book called "Murder Maker".

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Week 12: The fashion show

Week 14: Colours

Week 25: UNDER THE WEATHER WITH THE WEATHER